How can you reduce eddy current in transformer?
How to minimize the eddy current?
- The resistance of the core should be increased.
- In transformers, the thin sheets of steel in the core should be insulated from each other by a thin layer of varnish.
- As the laminations are thin, they will have relatively high resistance.
How do you reduce the amount of eddy current in the core?
This splits the core in many individual magnetic circuits and restricts the flow of the eddy currents through it, reducing the amount of heat generated through Joule heating. Eddy currents can also be removed by cracks or slits in the conductor, which break the circuit and prevent the current loops from circulating.
How can we minimize eddy current?
- It is essential to reduce the eddy currents in the metallic cores of transformers, electric motors and other such devices.
- in which a coil is to be wound over metallic core. …
- electrical energy in the form of heat.
- Eddy currents are minimised by using laminations of metal to make a metal core.
Why does lamination reduce eddy current?
Lamination is made to decrease the eddy current loss by enhancing the resistance of the core. The core comprises thin steel sheets, thereby having a relatively excellent resistance, each lamination being separated from others by a thin coating of varnish.
When the eddy current loss in transformer is reduced?
Since the Eddy current loss is proportional to the square of the thickness of the lamination. ∴ The eddy current loss in a transformer can be reduced by decreasing the thickness of the laminations.
How does DC machine reduce eddy current loss?
To reduce eddy-currents, the armature and field cores are constructed from laminated (layered) steel sheets. The laminated sheets are insulated from one another so that current cannot flow from one sheet to the other.
How are eddy currents Minimised in a transformer Class 12?
eddy current is minimised in a transformer by using a thick iron core made up of thin iron sheets in the shape of U and T placed alternately insulated with paint or varnishes. by doing so the a closed path for magnetic field is provided.
Which type of core is used to reduce eddy current?
To reduce eddy currents, it is necessary to increase the resistance of the material from which the core is made. To reduce eddy currents, transformer cores are used, made of thin elements of special steel.